Wednesday, February 27, 2008

BPA (a.k.a. something else to worry about)

Over the last year there's been all this bad press about BPA (bisphenol A). It's a molecule used in some hard plastics. According to the FDA and, of course, the plastic industry, it's harmless but others blame it on a myriad of problems ranging from diabetes to ADHD.

Being the freaky parent that I am, I'm on the hunt for BPA-free sippy cups. There are quite a few out there. The hip newer ones start at $7.99 a cup. Ridiculous! I don't spend that much on my glasses and they're used for years. I figured there had to be cheaper alternatives out there and there are. It seem that the plastic to avoid is #7. It contains BPA. Plastics #1, #2, #4, and #5 are OK. I have no idea about the other ones but according to one group all others should be avoided because they have other BAD things. UGH!!!!!!!

Z Recommends has some great reviews of various cups and bottles.

No comments: